[keiths-list] Breaking: BP quietly moving oil rig to start drilling offshore Nova Scotia!

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 14:17:12 -0400

Right now, BP – the Big Oil giant behind the Deepwater Horizon disaster and largest spill ever recorded – is quietly moving a massive oil rig to offshore Nova Scotia

I urgently need your help. The Council of Canadians has just learned that Big Oil giant BP is in the process of moving a massive oil rig to offshore Nova Scotia where it has received approval from the Canadian government <http://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325460&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0> to begin drilling exploratory wells.

*BP could start drilling just days from now – and the risk of an environmental disaster is simply too great for you and me to ignore. *

To make matters worse, BP is on the move without obtaining a final permit from the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board (CNSOPB), an unelected board of mostly former oil industry executives with a conflicting mandate of both promoting oil and gas development and protecting the marine environment. This is the same board that would be given more power in federal environmental assessments under Bill C-69, currently being debated.

So I’m urgently writing to ask if you can chip in $10, $25 or even $50 to help the Council of Canadians stop BP in its tracks and protect Nova Scotia’s communities, sustainable fisheries, tourism and local economies. <https://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325461&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==>

The Council of Canadians is busily working to hire an independent expert to provide evidence on the risks of offshore drilling in Nova Scotia that challenges the BP project approval. And we’re building municipal and grassroots opposition through petitions, social media, rallies, education materials and presentations. But we need an urgent influx of funds to get moving on this important work.

Yes, I'll chip in a donation <https://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325462&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==>

*If the name BP sounds familiar it’s for good reason. It’s the same company responsible for the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico – the largest marine oil spill ever recorded. *

Now BP is eyeing new sources of oil offshore Nova Scotia and *has federal approval to drill nearly twice the depth of the Deepwater Horizon well*.

A spill would be devastating to area marine life, and the fishing and tourism industries that are the lifeblood of Nova Scotia’s economy. For example, BP intends to drill 70 km east of the Gully Marine Protected Area and 50 km Northeast of Sable Island National Park, threatening endangered species like the Right Whale and thousands of sustainable fishery and tourism jobs.

The risk is even greater offshore Nova Scotia, where stopping and containing a ruptured well is made more difficult by virtue of the harsher conditions of the North Atlantic.

In January, the Trump administration proposed opening almost all U.S. federal waters to similar offshore oil and gas drilling. Both Democrats and Republicans from 12 Atlantic coastal states, including almost all of Nova Scotia’s closest American neighbours, have unanimously opposed the proposal citing unacceptable risk <http://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325463&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>.

*That’s why we must stop this reckless plan before it starts! *

_Please chip in what you can to help the Council of Canadians mobilize a national campaign to urge the federal government to reverse its poor decision to approve BP’s offshore drilling._ <https://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325464&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==>

Yes, I'll chip in a donation <https://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325465&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==>

The Council of Canadians South Shore chapter and staff have been a leading voice in this fight since we first learned of BP’s plans. We just finished a hard-hitting coastal speaking tour <https://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325466&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0> in Nova Scotia featuring independent experts providing evidence of the serious risks offshore drilling presents to sustainable fisheries, tourism, clean water and our climate. Here’s what we know:

  * BP is on the path to making similar mistakes as they did in the Gulf
    Coast spill, including an oil spill plan that may use the toxic
    Corexit (a chemical dispersant) and failing to have a capping stack
    located nearby – in fact, the closest is in Norway!
  * BP isn’t the only Big Oil company seeking to drill offshore Nova
    Scotia. Norway’s Statoil is also pursuing approval to drill and
    potentially many more.
  * There is a renaissance of sustainable fisheries and tourism in Nova
    Scotia, and the jobs created by those industries are critical to
    local economies.
  * Many Nova Scotians and Canadians beyond are still unaware that
    offshore drilling is proceeding despite widespread lack of public
    awareness and a growing opposition among those who are aware.
  * Pursuing risky offshore drilling is inconsistent with Canada’s
    commitments under the Paris Climate Agreement.

You and I can’t sit by and let BP start drilling with so much at risk. But we must act with urgency.

_Please add your voice to our national petition calling on Prime Minister Trudeau to step in and stop this._ <https://e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1325467&ea.campaigner.email=GAisHwXaHtfMY0fsvBBJiw==&ea.campaigner.id=IjAI3Kqre%2F2ZkArzVWMSmA==>*

Andrea Harden-Donahue
Energy and Climate Justice Campaigner

*The Council of Canadians*, 300-251 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON, K2P 1X3
1-800-387-7177 | inquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxx