[keiths-list] BREAKING: Significant algae bloom forecasted for Lake Erie this summer

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 17:39:37 -0400

2019.07.11

Today the *U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA**)* released its annual algae bloom forecast for Lake Erie. It looks like we’re getting another slimy-green summer.

Springs heavy rainfall and summers rising temperatures are creating the ideal conditions for an algae bloom this year.

The forecast is not looking good. According to NOAA, Lake Erie will suffer a significant algae bloom this year – *it could be one of the worst blooms since 2015! *That summer was the worst algae season on record. The bloom was so large that the NASA Earth Observatory was able to capture a picture of the algae from space, as seen in the picture above.

We already have laws to help keep nutrient runoff out of Ontario’s waterways, where the majority of the pollution is coming from. But without enforcement of these rules, the lake will continue to be under threat.

These threats can be significantly reduced if government steps up and turns the current laws into meaningful action. So what is the delay?

Tell our governments that we need to save Lake Erie , and we need strong action now!

With thanks,

*Kelsey Scarfone*
Program Manager, Water

Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml