[kc-cfstudents] Stop XP reboot after update

  • From: me@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "CF mail" <kc-cfstudents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:36:21 -0700

Hey guys!
I found another answer to a question I've been asked by several people.
How do you stop XP Pro rebooting after an auto update?
I'm sure all of us have seen this. You have something open on the computer, go to bed, and when you wake up you get the "Your computer was recently updated" message and it's rebooted, losing anything it had open in the process!

Any XP machine with Service Pack 2 and above now has a setting that will prevent rebooting as long as a user is logged in. Do they make it easy to find and use? Yeah right!

To get to it, open your run dialogue box and execute "MMC" to start a new management console. Click on "File" then "Add/Remove Snap-In". Click "Add" and then add the "Group Policy Object Editor"

Now to find the right setting...
Click the Plus "+" beside "Computer Configuration", "Administrative Templates", and finally under "Windows Components" you will see "windows Update", inside that policy group look for "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations" and enable it.

As long as this policy is enabled it will prompt the logged in user to reboot following an update, but can no longer reboot itself. Now you can safely go to bed and not lose your MP3 downloads lol!

Reed A. Ernst
me@xxxxxxxxxxxx
reedernst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
304-283-9465