[karc] Yaesu DR-1X - SLVRC List - OVMRC Meeting Demo September 24

  • From: <ve3hov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:17:10 -0400

Received from SLVRC and forwarded FYI.
73
Jim Hodgson
VE3HOV / VA3HOD
Brockville

Yes, it has a mild squelch noise burst at end of FM reception, even when
engaged with CTCSS rx squelch. There are issues when trying to
integrate the DR-1x repeater into an existing repeater controller for
slave operation or link operation. For one, the rear 15 pin connector
does *not* provide full duplex audio. When PTT is asserted on the rear
panel connector, repeat through audio on the repeater channel is
momentarily muted and TX audio connected to the rear connector takes
priority and RX audio at the rear connector is muted along with CTCSS
and Carrier detect lines go in-active. Also, it seems, there is a need
to re-insert CTCSS tone modulation since the repeater CTCSS set up for
repeater tone encoding does work in remote control (rear panel
connector) operation. There is a separate rear connector audio input to
the repeater for this external CTCSS encoder. I have acquired a
Selectone encoder for the job. I suspect the Wires IP controller will
provide this encoding capability, but I will have to study that
further. All this applies to FM operation. For digital voice, there
is resolved demodulated audio at the rear connector but applied analogue
modulation can not be transmitted as digital voice.

In the meantime, a select few of us folks in Orleans are using the
repeater mainly in digital mode with FT1-d portables and another has a
FT2-d portable on order and the digital stuff works reasonably well.

BTW, the C4FM four level FSK modulation used by Yaesu is the same as
Phase 1 P25 used by the Public Safety folks, and I suspect the full rate
vocoder is the same DVSI one used in P25. The frame structure is
obviously not the same as Yaesu digital and therefore the 2 types are
incompatible.

And, for those that are interested, I will be bringing out a DR-1x
repeater and Yaesu FT1d and FT2d portables and System Fusion mobile to
the OVMRC club meeting Thur evening Sept 24 at the Aviation Museum for a
presentation and working demo. All are welcome to attend.

73 de Norm VE3LC