[karc] Re: The ethics of "stealing" a WiFi connection

  • From: Steve Cutway <ve3kc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:59:22 -0500

Hi Rob:

Actually, your assertion #2 that "stealing" Wi-Fi is illegal, isn't necessarily true as the article whose link I posted suggests. What may be ethical or unethical is personal choice; what is legal or illegal is up in the air. Courts have issued decisions both for and against plaintiffs in such cases for the same reasons that the article mentions. It isn't a black and white issue like so many internet-based activities. My own lawyer, an Assistant Crown Attorney, is computer savvy and he says he wouldn't try such a case.

Cheers & 73,

Steve VE3KC