[karc] RAC password reset "gotcha"

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KARC FreeList <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:23:01 -0800 (PST)

If people have had problems logging into their RAC account, or have forgotten
their password and requested a new one, the RAC system has a built-in "gotcha".
Their system sends you an automatic one-line message like this:

Your password is reset1234561234

Like a fool, I assumed that my new password was "1234561234". Not so, it was
"reset1234561234".

The person who designed that system is a real poster-child for how not to write
user-friendly software.

Amazingly, when I told the RAC webmaster that I had trouble logging in,  I got
an almost immediate reply with a 8 digit/letter password that worked fine. He
explained that "reset" was part of the automatic password system. I suggested
he change that system, so if you try it now, I'm not sure what you will get.

... Phil VE3HST

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier.  Optimized for Yahoo!
Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/