[karc] NEOSSAT

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

Here is some information about why I'm not fully retired. I was retired but
lately, I have been spending two days per week at RMC doing space research.

Eight years ago, I proposed a satellite for DND to track other satellites.
Because of the cost, I suggested that it could also be used by Canadian
astronomers to detect and track dangerous asteroids. That became a winning
combination and I was able to get the funding to conduct the initial
feasibility, get the program started, and get the science team organised. It
has now grown into an approved DND-CSA joint program called NEOSSAT, scheduled
for launch in 2010.

Here is a link to a Globe and Mail article today:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080627.wsatellite27/BNStory/Science/home

We are now looking ahead to another satellite and have proposed a balloon
flight carrying a demonstration payload within the next year. Initial
discussions with KARC indicate that we may borrow the APRS transponder for that
balloon flight.

... Phil
VE3HST

Get the name you've always wanted @ymail.com or @rocketmail.com today! Go to