[karc] Antenna Masts

  • From: va3orp@xxxxxxx
  • To: ve3dze@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:39:38 -0400

David;
  I did a walk through RONA yesterday and came up with a few ideas.  I
thought that the 3/4" PVC pipe would be strong enough if it was guyed
every two sections (i.e. every 8 feet).  I am working towards having the
sections four feet long so they will fit in the trunk of my car (Honda
Civic).  For couplers I thought of a 12" length of dowel with a short
length of the 3/4" PVC pipe in the middle.  The couplers would not be
permanently fitted to the mast sections.  That way the entire four feet
of each section will add to the overall length of the mast.  Also, the
dowel/PVC coupler could have some attachment points for the guy ropes
(instead of the guy rings that I use now).  I figured that I could have
mast sections for $1 per foot plus the cost of guys.  I'm sure this can
be used up to 15 feet and maybe 24 feet.  The PVC material will not
stand any side load and may be limited even with vertical loads.  If we
wanted something to hold a small VHF yagi, we would likely have to go to
a larger diameter.

  I am working towards having a prototype 15 foot mast for the exercise on
15 July.

Cheers...Dave, VA3ORP