[karc] American Amateurs

  • From: Ron Walsh <ve3go@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 13:23:15 +0000

med wherever I have traveled by the amateur radio communities on both sides of
the border. I lost a great friend Bob Boyd, W2YLM, two years ago. He and I
shared an interest in the ships on the Seaway. We became great friends and
spent many a good time at each others home. I was even allowed to use his
cottage on occasion. I sincerely miss Bob and his wife Dorothy.
The Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club in Myrtle Beach , could not be more
welcoming to visitors. I have been involved in their Marathon Communications
for four years and asked to speak at their meeting on three occasions. The
amateurs at the USS North Carolina battleship musuem could not be more
welcoming if they tried. I have had three chances to operate there and have
been shown areas of the ship the public does not get to see. The Charleston
Amateur Radio Society was more than generous to invite me to operate from the
aircraft carrier USS Yorktown. I have been sincerely invited back to each
location. I certainly intend to visit them again. As a thank you, I have sent a
WW II flash proof morse key to each location as a thank you for their kindness.
I could not have had a more appreciative thank you reply than from Dave,
K4SUE, as the key will be in their restored radio room on the carrier.
My wife was not feeling well in Myrtle Beach this year and I have had several
communications from amateurs there asking about her!
I was asked to join in the operation of the CSS Hunley anniversary and
operated N4H. The group was very welcoming and I have been invited back. In
fact, I have been offered an inside tour of the actual submarine in Charleston
next time I visit.
I have been welcomed on ECARS, 7.255 and the Maritime Mobile Service Net,
14.300 as examples. I have never had a problem checking into any of the VHF
nets in Northern New York. I occasionally check into the GSARC Sunday night net
via echolink. They actually set this up so visitors could keep in touch with
amateurs in the area.
I was asked to write columns and feature articles for the US Publication
Monitoring Times. This has now become the electronic magazine The Spectrum
Monitor. I have had over 8 years enjoyment from this and continue to write for
them. The editors and staff could not be more appreciative and helpful. TCA has
asked and been given permission to reprint several of these articles with no
problem whatsoever.
I have been offered help, friendly advice about the area, technical
information and been invited to several ham fests, picnics etc. I was asked to
participate in their Field Day etc if I ever was in the area. On two occasions,
I was offered rides to major hamfests in Charlotte. I was invited to attend
their ARES training sessions when I was there.
The lunch bunch that meets in Cape Vincent, Wolfe Island, Kingston etc is a
great group to join in with! I have not been available on many dates but do
those as I can. Saturday morning breakfasts at Uncle John's, in Myrtle Beach,
are as much fun as they are here.
Amateur radio signals know no boundaries!
Ron VE3GO / VE3IDW