[kanchilug] Fwd: [FTC] Summary of ThamiZha! team's achievements in 2011

  • From: Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kanchilug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <kanchilug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 07:44:15 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Mugunth" <mugunth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 31, 2012 8:25 PM
Subject: [FTC] Summary of ThamiZha! team&apos;s achievements in 2011
To: "ThamiZha! - Free Tamil Computing(FTC)" <
freetamilcomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Vanakkam,
I was trying to write a summary of year 2011 highlights for the past
one month, but somehow could not find time. (Today I wanted to send
this email somehow, so writing in English quickly)

Some of the highlights of what we have did in the year 2011.

1. Libreoffice localization efforts:
 - This project activated by Elanjelian & we got many members involved
in it. And we made considerable progress that went into libreoffice
3.4.4 version -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/e2188287fa0391f8

2. Android Tamilvisai released.
 - Thanks to mostly Guru Jegadeesan. Android tamilvisai typing tool
was created and released to public as a thamizha project on pongal day
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/91e6ab86d493a896

3. Google chrome tamilvisai 0.1 released
 - Thanks to Gopi
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/82b353afa1e27811

4. Thamizha solthiruthi project was initiated and we made lot of
progress on that. Its another important milestone in 2011 -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/2b55222579bea6a0
Thanks to Elanjelian, Lavanya, Siddharth

5. Our products Firefox Tamilvisai & Android tamilvisai got featured
in Indiatoday.
 -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/3a7223c166f5dc32

6. ekalappai 3.0 video tutorial created by Nimal -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/8048804dc53c3740

7. We had an online virtual meeting thro IRC. And also we organised a
hackathon in chennai.
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/7b3553a048321987
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/859535213e5ca769

8. All thamizha projects were moved to github @
https://github.com/organizations/thamizha
and it proved very effective. Thanks for Arunmozhi for this efforts.

9. Thagadoor converter version 3.2 released by Gopi -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/2171f4ae856eb87b

10. ekalappai version 3.0.1 was released -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/ca95d40cad5039e3

11. Following projects were moved under thamizha
   - visaineri -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/769eaa632594dfb4
   - Offline desktop Wiktionary -
http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing/browse_thread/thread/513493bb98b0d141

12. Following projects had lot of activity in 2011 and are work in
progress
  - Thamizha website redesign efforts - we have made lot of progress
already. Thanks to Ravi S, Arunan, Suganthi
  - Tamil Baby names android app (mobile front end for peyar.in
project) - considerable effort has gone in already - Thanks to Manik,
Arunan

Its seems we have done a lot in 2011. Lets hope to do more than this
in 2012.

Please send in your wish list of what we hope to do in 2012.

Regards,
Mugunth