[kag] Re: Garmin Etrex Summit - PC Interface

  • From: Hoover <mlehotay@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:24:36 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Fro, 18 Mar 2005, Joe Measure wrote:
> I am new to Geocaching, thanks the Healz.  I have a late 90's Garmin
> Etrex Summit that did not come with a PC Interface or software.  I am
> looking to see if anyone has a PC interface and/or the Garmin Waypoint
> Manager software that they would be willing to sell.

I have an eTrex Summit too. I use OziExplorer (shareware, no expiry date)
for mapping and I download free maps from
http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca/ and http://www.lio.mnr.gov.on.ca/

For waypoint management I use GSAK, but its recent introduction of nag
screens is really starting to annoy me. I may switch to GPSBabel (open
source) soon. GSAK is just a fancy interface for GPSBabel, but it's handy
to have a GUI.

Even if you never get a cable, I recommend using some sort of mapping
software. It helps a lot.

As for cables, they are ridiculously overpriced. Garmin cables at
www.gpscentral.ca are currently selling for $41.95, but I see that they
are now stocking Wolfe brand cables for $11 cheaper.

If you are technically minded, you can buy a "shareware" connector from
http://pfranc.com/ build your own cable for very cheap. You can also buy
pre-built pfranc cables from people like these guys:
http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/pub/c_ca2/

HTH,
Hoover