[kada] Re: KADA Forum

  • From: Leonardo lee <eyesandteeth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <kada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 17:24:01 -0400

In an addition to wear, night guard also address the issues of clinching.  I
have patients complaining about teeth sensitivity especially in the morning or
at evening due to excessive clinching and grinding.  Being able to open a bite
a little with the night guard minimizes the muscle fibers reaching the ideal
length to apply the maximum force on the teeth. This minimizes the stress.  I
have some success with this and the patients notice improvement right away.
Less sensitivity in the morning and muscle soreness.  Attachments:  PICTURES OF
SEVERE OCCLUSAL WEAR, Pt work for "SECRET GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION".  TALK ABOUT
STRESS!.  ANY TREATMENT RECOMMENDATION FOR THESE TEETH?Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007
09:55:03 -0700From: leepauldds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [kada] Re: KADA ForumTo:
kada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It seems to me that nobody wants to touch this one...I can understand.  In my
opinion, dealing with patients with occlusal wear is one of the most
complicated aspects of dentistry.  Probably too big of a topic for this forum,
I think.  Having said that I'll try to share how I deal with such patients in
my office.  I won't go into TMD, headache and muscle ache resulting from
bruxism, bone loss, abfraction, recession, acid reflux,  loss of vertical
dimension,  etc, again, I feel that these are beyond the scope of this forum.
With slight to moderate wear, I inform the patient of his/her condition and
recommend a night guard.  Patient understands the NG only slows down the wear,
and that it needs replacement every 2-5yrs depending on how active the
grinding.  With moderate to severe wear, patient again understands that he has
this problem.  This can be done by showing the patient how worn and short his
teeth are.  Once he acknowledges that he has this problem, then I can discuss
treatment options with him, including, Full Mouth Rehab. I've found the older
patients with heavy wear are more challenging to convince that they have this
problem than the younger ones with less wear.  Heck, some even say they have
NEVER ground their teeth in their whole life!
The most important thing, in my opinion, when dealing with patients with worn
teeth is that the patient must understand that he has this problem.  Then and
only then, will your discussions of treatment options be successful.

Hope this helps,
Paul
----- Original Message ----From: Paul Lee <cjrdad@xxxxxxxxx>To:
kada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Monday, June 4, 2007 11:37:21 AMSubject: [kada] KADA
Forum

Hello Forum,

Our new forum is operational!!  When you're ready to post something to the
forum, simply email to:

KADA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

and it will be received by everyone on the forum.  When you reply to a post, it
will also be received by everyone.

At our last KADA meeting, one of the items we discussed was how underutilized
our forum is and see how we can get more members to participate.  To get
started, I'll post a weekly question collected at our last meeting.  I wish
everyone will participate to help fellow members.  This week's question:

"I see many Korean patients with severe occlusal wear.  What are you doing in
your practices that's been successful dealing with this issue?"

Best,
Paul

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

      Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative
vehicles.Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club.
http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_wlmailtextlink