Hilton Pond 04-15-05 (Pinxter-flower)

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:03:49 -0400

All Mailing Lists
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

USE MUSIC TO LEARN ABOUT SCIENCE
Science-themed material - sing the periodic table
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/IEC/iecmusic.html

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:45:46 -0400
From: Hilton Pond Center <ThisWeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Hilton Pond 04-15-05 (Pinxter-flower)

Although many folks delight in hybrid azaleas that brighten the
spring landscape, we prefer the "old fashioned" native Pinxter-flower
and its delicate pale pink blossoms.

This flowering shrub is the topic of our "This Week at Hilton Pond"
photo essay for 15-21 April 2005, which can be found at
<<http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek050415.html>>

As always we include a tally of all birds banded, plus a list of
interesting recaptures during the period. This week we also provide
a diagnostic photo of a pair of male and female Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers we caught together in a mist net.

PINXTER-FLOWERS REVISITED

Back in the early 1970s before we thought watching birds was a worthwhile
pastime, we wandered the Piedmont woods without binoculars. Instead we
carried an inexpensive Sears 35mm SLR camera, a trio of screw-in close-up
filters, and a hand-me-down tripod whose legs opened all the way and allowed
us to get flat on the ground to photograph our favorite natural history
objects: Wildflowers of the eastern U.S. In those days before digital
cameras and Photoshop manipulations we used relatively expensive color slide
film and were a bit more judicious about how many exposures we took, so we
often waited hours for the wind to die down or the light to be just right to
capture our botanical subjects. Alas, many of our favorite spots for
photographing wildflowers are long gone. Where Silky Leather-flower once
grew there now stands a bowling alley, and a former haven for Wild Irises
was paved over as I-77 snaked its way southward from Charlotte. One of our
fondest wildflower encounters came in the Saluda River bottomland near
Columbia in 1970 before Riverbanks Zoo was built. There we saw our first
wild azaleas--so called "Pinxter-flowers"--and marveled at their intricate
structure and delicate colors. Fortunately, planners retained much of the
natural area around the zoo, so it's still possible to see that same azalea
colony, growing not far from where exotic Koalas now delight zoo visitors.
We don't have to drive 80 miles to Columbia to see Pinxter-flowers, however,
since these colorful shrubs bloom right here at Hilton Pond Center. Although
we wrote once before about wild azaleas, we wanted to revisit our marvelous
Pinxter-flowers to see what else we could learn.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

Copyright statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from K12 Newsletter

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when
reproducing any portion of this report, in any format.

http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/K12Newsletters.html

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/

HOT LIST REGISTRY OF K12 SCHOOLS ONLINE