[JA] Re: no incoming mail

  • From: "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 08:23:20 -0800

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 mmmcrae@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>...yesterday I spent 5 hours trying to get my mail, with no luck.
>I am on my partners computer now because I Still cannot get
>mail, though I've tried about 200 times today.

Hi Marie, and All,

Your headers indicate you used Web mail to send this.  Is that why you
used your partner's computer; because it has Internet access?  Were you
connected via Juno or another ISP?  Is that machine at the same
location?  Separate or shared phone line?  Does it have Juno installed?
If so, how does it work on that machine?

>About every 10th send, the transfer starts so that I can get
>messages out, but then the transfer stalls at 7%, or 19%, or
>something very far from actually delivering my mail.  I get one
>of several pop up messages: "can't connect using the access
>numbers you have chosen" or "timed out while trying to connect".

Have you tried any different access numbers?  Even if trying another
number would be a long distance call, one or two minutes won't hardly
cost a quarter.  To me, this is a great diagnostic tool.  If you call a
number a hundred miles away, perhaps outside your area code or even your
state.  If it works OK, which is going to be my "guess" with the
symptoms you've described, then it may be your computer, your Juno
installation, old phone lines, or your local router.  If it works the
same, then the problem is probably the Juno central computer server your
account is on.

>As I said the other day, I can log on using my partner's account
>and so keep a line open as I hit "send" time and again.  They
>say insanity lies in repeating the same behavior and expecting
>different results.  I'm pretty bummed at this point.

Sounds very frustrating.  Mind if I ask how the weather has been in your
area lately?  I live in a rural area and can always count on increased
troubles as winter takes hold.

>Is juno upping the ante on getting rid of the freebies??

I don't think so.  We're not seeing this as an across the board action.
Free-riders are still a valuable pool of potential Platinum accounts.
Free-riders have been reduced by roughly 40% since the merger with
NetZero, down from a combined membership with NetZero of about 7.5
million to 4.5 million.  This number still gives United Online
credibility and clout as a "top" provider.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.