[JA] Wireless ISP

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:51:24 -0400

> > Linksys is the biggest selling brand, which doesn't mean it's
> > any better but does mean that's the most common network
> > name that comes up when you turn on the WiFi in your
> > computer and it sniffs around the neighborhood for radio signals.

That was the theory.  Now I have some practical, and unsuccessful,
experience at home.  At CompUSA I bought a Linksys WUSB11
Wireless B USB Network Adapter for $50.  Similar hardware from other
manufacturers was half the price but didn't say they would work with
my Windows Millennium Edition.  I installed the software from the CD,
plugged the adapter into my USB socket, and its light blinked for
several seconds, sniffing the neighborhood for signals.

It found two working networks.  I clicked on one of them, and my adapter
connected to the network but could find no Internet connection.  Probably
that's someone's file sharing network not used for Internet access.  The
other was protected by 64 bit WEP encryption.  Can't connect there except
by cracking the code.  At various times of day I used the included six
foot USB cord to position the adapter with its antenna in different
places in the room including the window sill.  Sometimes it detected a
third network, but the software indicated a weak signal and was never
able to connect to it.  No network with a SSID of "LINKSYS" was detected,
which is a slight surprise but not part of the problem.

So, at home in Hell's Kitchen, unlike at a relative's home in Kensington,
I am unable to find and feed off a stranger's WiFi signal.  My options
include:  1) Try again with fancier hardware including directional
antenna that can be put out a window,  2) Download and study
cryptanalytic software to crack the notoriously porous 64 bit version of
WEP,  3) Pay $15 a month for DSL and install a wireless router, becoming
the neighborhood host instead of guest.  Probably I'll just give up and
use my $10 per year dialup connection, which is adequate for my most
usual daily activities.