[JA] Re (Not) Free Virus Scans

  • From: "Jim Venedam" <jim.venedam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:06:03 -0500

> > No. As far as I know, they're not checked with Norton either.

I just sent the EICAR test virus to my other e-mail accounts.
Unfortunately, NAV 2002 defaults to "repair" the files so luckily,
I have backup copies of it. I changed the default to "Ask me"

NAV would not let me open the files in Juno but did allow me
to download them. (One straight text file, one zipped)
They are intact in my JUNO folder. I can read them but I have
to tell NAV TWICE to ignore the virus.

Hotmail worked the same way. No auto detect, no auto repair.

NetZero and Softhome (both popped) were detected during
the download and automatically repaired. (zeroed out)

EICAR is a short data string that's used to test anti-virus
software. It's built into all definition files but is NOT a virus.

If you wanna reply to me, I'll send you a copy...........

Jimvee

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org