[JA] No Free Web

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:26:01 -0400

Related issues have been discussed on the BBS page of www.junoaccmail.org
and its mailing list, so I'm combining my replies in one message:

From: LAnder1316@xxxxxxx:

LA> My system has 128 MB, 13 GB, 32x, 56K, Windows 98 (Me).
> I have 8.69 free GB, so I don't think space is an issue here.

Yes, Lynn.  I'm writing this by Juno 5 on an AMD-200 with 144 Megs RAM,
20 Gigabyte HD, WinMe and 14.4K external modem.  Juno mail obviously
works well but Web cannot connect and doesn't say why.  I think it's the
slow modem.  Eventually I'll replace the modem and give it another whirl.

LA> I'm in the Pacific Northwest, which may have less availability
>  to NetZero than the more populated areas.

I imagine Seattle would have nearly as good connections as New York.
Maybe even Portland would.  Medford and Roseburg (I spent six dreary
hours in Roseburg fifteen years ago) maybe not.

LA> However, what I'd REALLY like is to be able
> to reactivate the Juno I have that I can no longer get into!

You can download the Juno 4 installation file from the
www.junoaccmail.org site.  If your old version was 5, you would probably
lose your old messages, in case that matters, unless you used special
measures to save, convert and import them.

> Subject: [JA] Re: Bad news from the Juno Web site???
> From: Nicole Anderson <nicole.anderson@xxxxxxxx>

NA> I haven't been able to successfully connect
> to the web on my free account for awhile now. I get the
> same error message everytime. Juno doesn't have all the
> required components installed. Try reinstalling Juno.

NA> However, I can connect to the web through my paid
> account and stay connected. So I'm a bit hesitant to reinstall.

My guess is, something in the ad features got screwed up.  Free accounts
need to advertise, more than your paid one does.  If you have paid Web
and don't need free Web, Nicole, you don't need to fuss with it, but
again my guess is a reinstallation would fix it if you really wanted  to
fix it.  Might as well hesitate forever unless you find a need for it.

I have no paid Internet account, and rarely use Juno for Web.  Last time
was this past Sunday, July 7, on my P-166 with 88 Megs RAM, 33.6 modem,
Win98 (FE) and Juno 4.  It worked fine, after I deleted twenty Megs of
files that were choking the hard drive.

NA> Who's free web account is still working? Jim? Anybody?

I'll give it another try this weekend on that machine.  I am reasonably
confident it will still work.

> From: "Caseylite" <caseylite@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [JA] Re: Bad news from the Juno Web site???

C> I loaded the www.juno.com page and for me it shows a Free Internet
> tab on the right side of the screen with this bulleted list underneath.

That's good news suggesting the company has not given up on us free
riders, but perhaps, just in case, the www.junoaccmail.org Web site ought
to provide an installation file for Juno 5 as well as 1.49 and 4.
Assuming the company doesn't mind.  Juno 5 will surely no longer be the
latest, next year sometime when the NetZero merger is reflected in new
software.