[JA] Re: Main Principles of Computer User?s Safe Behavior

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:12:36 -0500

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:38:21 -0700 thepccat@xxxxxxxx writes:

Meow> For AVG 7 they have us_quick_guide.pdf, the last section
> is a pretty good take on the subject:
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_doc.php [web page with  link]
> http://www.grisoft.com/softw/70/us/doc/us_quick_guide.pdf  [link]
> [excerpt]

I am quoting more extensively than usual because I am replying to a
message ten weeks old, but I did cut down the requotation to these few
lines:

> * Do not open and execute suspicious files. The most
> suspicious are executable files (especially with EXE, COM, SCR,
> PIF, LNK, BAT, VBS, JS, VBE, JSE extensions) and documents
> (with DOC, XLS, PPT extensions) that contain macros.
> All files with an extra or hidden extension, as well as attachments
> received in messages from an unknown sender are highly suspicious.

Thirteen suspicious extensions, plus rules about other extensions.  Me, I
never heard of JS or JSE, and what fraction of mail users will remember
the entire list or know how to determine whether a DOC file contains a
macro without opening it?  Seems to me, these attachments ought to be
marked with a skull and crossbones or some other easily recognized danger
signal while JPG or TXT files get the benign icon of the application that
will open them.