[JA] Juno place; NetZero place

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:17:57 -0400

> Subject: [JA] Re: Juno_accmail Digest V3 #166
> From: David F Wooledge <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>

DFR> I heard this from NetZero when they cancelled my free NetZero
> account because the message said that United Online was only going
> to offer free service in my area through Juno.
> Dave  Erie, PA

Perhaps this is true in Erie and some other smaller cities.  Here in
Manhattan, three blocks from the headquarters of the D E Shaw company, I
still get a few hours per month of free Web service from both Juno and
NetZero.  Last night Juno Web gave me no Web pages on my 486 with 24 Megs
RAM, presumably because the Juno banner took too much RAM.  Juno Web
worked on my P-166 with 64 Megs.  NetZero worked on both machines.

Perhaps it's more like, Juno is finding some places have too light
traffic to be profitable, or too high costs, and NZ likewise is finding
some places unsupportable.  In places where one unit gives up free Web
service while the other stays, you get referred to the other. This year,
anyway.

Next year they are likely to come out with new, consolidated software,
eliminate one free Web service, such as Juno, and retain the other.  It
would be pleasant if consolidation meant any place getting free Web from
one or the other old service would continue to get it from the
consolidated operation.