[JA] Re: Huge delays at Juno... Here we go again!

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:28:06 -0800

Yeah, this stuff is [& has been] way stupid [& seems to be getting
stupider all the time]. I get email newsletters where the words which
might get blocked [including virus names] are given spaces or extra
characters [and often the newsletter explains this]. Then someone wrote
that only the 'impoverished" newsletter writers need resort to this,
because those with lots of green hire firms who have a special "in" with
the SPAM filter folks and the ISP's :-( [all together now, can you say
extortion?]. I did not save the link, but there was an assertion that the
filtering used by major ISP's clobber one in seven messages wanted by the
customer [If I had my choice, I'd have them quit this c*** entirely and
spend the money on beer for the staff ;-)]. This s**** big time for the
Internet, right?

OK, I am not an anti-Bayesian Luddite [nor do I minimize the experience
of those whose inboxes are clotted with SPAM--I have one address which is
such, and others which are quite free]. I just suggest that if people
want SPAM filtering they provide it on their machines [there being free
and paid Bayesian clients for specific email clients, as well as for
generic POP3 clients using proxy techniques], and, so, become responsible
[training] and responsive [not throw away their *own* mail] by running
their own filtering system. I know, hopelessly geeky for the average
user...

thepccat

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:58:35 -0800 Linda WJ <pettey-admin@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
[...]
> Also I tried to send a message ~from~ Yahoo and kept getting an error
> message.  They said they wouldn't send it because of obscenity or
> something.  I couldn't figure out why.  Finally I spotted the
> problem.
> I'd put something like John SMITH born (18xx-19xx) and the X's were
> giving them fits.
[...]