[JA] Re: End of free services?

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:23:31 -0700

Because this is the plain interpretation of what he said. The only
service Juno will offer is paid service, they don't want to mess with
anything else. I don't think this will surely remove support for 1.49,
but likely you will have to sign up for some level of pay service [maybe
$5/month]. It may be easy to retain the 1.49 support, but I think they
will want to be paid their going rate.

There are still ways to get turnkey email with Win 3.1 systems [as I
recall you are in that category]. One is from Compuserve [as I recall it
is five hours/month for $10]. Some even use ancient computers like yours
in DOS, running Arachne, then connect to ISP's offering DUN connections
[lots more than offering turnkey Win 3.1 support]. But that involves
learning new things. And isn't it getting tiresome having your animal
photos in only 16 or 256 colors?

I take the announcement as a heads up. Many will need to start making
plans for future connections, and for porting their precious emails to
that other system [unless you want to view them "under glass" with  a
Juno "reader" which cannot connect free to the Internet].

thepccat