[juneau-lug] Re: Vmware & .vmx files

  • From: East Wind <eastwind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mike noel <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:41:57 -0900

Hello mike,

mn> VMWare's player is intended to run vm's (config file and virtual disk)
mn> created by the not-free workstation. Technically the config file is just
mn> a text file so you could download one of the pre-built vms (like
mn> 'browser appliance'), mod the config, and install anything you wanted
mn> into the virtual disk - but that's quite a hassle. Another way is
mn> download a 'trial' of the not-free workstation and use it to make your
mn> initial config/virtual disk. And another way is to download a copy of
mn> the vmware SERVER they just made free - it will also make configs and
mn> virtual disks and runs lots of vm's at once and supports smp in vms and
mn> ... In fact, with server now free I wonder why anyone would use
mn> workstation at all???

Thanks both of ya.
I've got an abysmal FC5 torrent goin' @ 6k/sec.
I won't be running that one for a couple days.
Guess I'll try one of their smaller packages in the mean time.