[juneau-lug] Re: UAS integration <- instant buzzword :)

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:00:12 -0800

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:49:40 -0400 (EDT)
"Justin Burket" <zorton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> suggestions for what to include on the flyer.  ideas I've had
>       -Free Open-office installations to demonstrate what free
>       software is about

I will update the Juneau-LUG OpenOffice installation CD's we made for
OO.org 1.0.

I'll put on the latest stable version, auto-run for the Windows
installer, and put a link on the CD root for the Linux i386 installer.

Last time there was not a lot of Mac support for OO.org, but I can
master a second CD that will have the Mac OS X install and the Linux
PowerPC installer.  I don't suppose there will be a lot of demand for
those, but you never know.

>       -Free initial install help and configuration.  I think we
>       should put the Red-Hat, Debian, Mandrake, and Suse logos on
>       the flyer.

I will bring Debian PowerPC and Alpha in addition to the i386 stuff.
Just in case.  Also OpenBSD 3.3, or if this takes place after my 3.4
CD's come in, OpenBSD 3.4 (bootable on i386 and candy-colored Macs).

>       -Free small hard-drives for Linux.....if we can find some :)

Ooh. Good luck.  If I don't steal them first.  Anyone have any extra
hard drives laying around?  I'm looking for 68 pin Ultra Wide...

> -Cabling and power hardware needs to be found... (snip)

I have some hardware my wife would probably like to see go somewhere
else that I'll bring along.  I also have some nifty stuff like DOS
config disks for Intel ISA Nics, 3Com ISA diagnostics/configure, etc.
Also the network CD tower I picked up at surplus.  That will provide
seven CD's via http or nfs.

> What do you think? Would a planning meeting be helpful?

From the vantage point of a non-student (this semester anyway) I'd
like to see what the students come up with as far as a LUG goes first,
and then plan the installfest.