[juneau-lug] The Gimp, GPS and Michigan

  • From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau LUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:39:42 -0900

Jamie,

If you have been working with the Gimp at all, you probably know as much
as I do. I have done a few things with layers and layer masks, and some
of the plugins.

Another interesting set of tools for working with images are the
panorama tools with Hugin as the gui. I stitched together 7-images to
create a panoramic view from my building lot. I could demo this also.

Your problem does sound like a datum thing. I just installed GPSDrive,
so once I get it setup, I will see if I have any better luck getting the
waypoints to come in to the correct location. My laptop is without a
serial port also, so I bought a pcmcia serial adapter. The tech at
Juneau Electronics said that the usb/serial adapter or the software for
it is kind of kludgy at times. That's why he had the pcmcia adapters in
stock. A bit expensive, but it works fine. I would like to get together
sometime and compare notes.

I will be doing my GPS project at our camp near Ironwood, Michigan. The
camp is about a mile inland from Lake Superior and a mile from the
Michigan/Wisconsin border.

Chuck