[juneau-lug] Redhat 7.3, PCMCIA and X

  • From: "Charles R. Hakari" <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:38:17 -0800

Hi, all!

I decided to install Redhat 7.3 instead of Slackware on my Toshiba Tecra
700CT (P120, 48 mb ram) and Im have two remaining issues to resolve. I
have gone on the web, but I have been unable to find a solution.

First, to save on memory, I would like to boot to a command prompt and
avoid the overhead of a display manager, but when I login and run
startx, I get an error about X having to be started by root and warning
about not setting the SUID root bit. Is there a way around this?

Next, I can only get the PCMCIA card manager working after I login and
restart it from the Redhat Services Manager. Trying to restart from a
commandline doesn't work. During bootup, the boot messages show that the
card manager is unable to get an interrupt. Has anyone had this problem
and come up with a solution? I was thinking that maybe changing the
order that the services are brought up might make a difference, but I
don't know what file to edit.

Thanks!

Chuck Hakari