[juneau-lug] Re: Recent power outage problems

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:21:23 -0800 (AKDT)

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Myron Davis wrote:

> Hi bdk!
>
> I've seen the following problems:
>
> if you're running ext2 and it boots up the system and is running and
> suddenly finds a problem with the disk drive it will immediately
> remount the drive read-only.
>
> I don't know if this is what problem you had; but it could be.
>
> -Myron

If you find the remount-ro in your fstab, and you are running ext2 and a
2.4 kernel, you can switch over to an ext3 filesystem in a couple of
minutes.

As root, run `tune2fs -J [filesystem]` on your partitions, and you'll
magically have a journaling ext3 filesystem. There is one gotcha - because
ext3 is backwards compatible with ext2, you need to specify ext3 in your
fstab. Otherwise the filesystem is mounted as an ext2 system.

I use ext3 a lot, and don't have any troubles with the occasional power
outage. (However I don't use mySQL much either - just to play with.) ext3
is also nice as tools such as boot floppies or rescue CDs that don't know
about ext3 will see your file system as a normal ext2 system.