[juneau-lug] NCD Explora Pro

  • From: "Myron Davis" <myrond@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:20:37 -0800 (AKDT)

I went by state surplus and there still is a whole bunch of NCD Explora
Pro's.

Here is a page on them: http://criggie.dyndns.org/ncd/explora/

This was mentioned before by Clay (and others?).  As these are ready to go
one would only have to setup a tftp(and dhcp) server with the images, and
a x server.

I think these boxes also have sound as well.

Someone could setup a pretty decent set of computers for web-browsing and
general unix work w/ just 1 fairly beefy server (as the web-browsing and
everything are executed on the server).

This would be a great learning environment as well, shoot if someone
already had a setup and just had a switch box these machines use very
little power and could be setup w/ a A/B switch box in a current computer
lab.  (so for the price of 1 computer and a bunch of cheap NCD Explora
Pros and surplus would give people a chance to learn on a modern unix
system... and outfit an entire lab in no time flat)

I'd be willing to help anyone out and set these up too if anyone wanted to
mess w/ these boxes... I just don't have any use for them myself.  I hate
to see such potentially useful machines go away.

-Myron