[juneau-lug] Re: Core 1 to Core 2 upgrade

  • From: Jas <katmandu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:09:50 -0800

James Zuelow wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:58:23 -0800
>"Charles R. Hakari" <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone done a Fedora Core 1 to Core 2 upgrade? I like my current
>>Core 1 setup, but I would like to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel and other
>>goodies in Core 2 without doing a fresh install, but I am leery of doing
>>an upgrade.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Chuck Hakari
>>

>I've done upgrades with yum, without any trouble.
>
>yum and up2date both have upgrade options if you want to do it over the net,
>and I guess the CD upgrades would be similar.
>
>Cheers,
>
>James

I too am generally uncomfortable "upgrading" operating systems other
than minor version releases or patches, of course.  Any time there's a
major rev, or any entirely new product version altogether, I usually go
with a clean install (i.e., archive my data off that system,
re-partition and re-format the drive(s), and install a new copy of the
operating system).

HOWEVER, if he decides to do an upgrade either from boot media or via
yum/up2date (maybe he never got around to documenting his
previous/current system layout, and doesn't remember how he set
everything up.... it happens), it may not be a bad idea for him to
tar.gz a copy of his /etc directory first, since most of his current
site-specific configuration settings will likely be contained in that
directory structure, and park that file on a different partition (/home
comes to mind, assuming he created a separate partition for user files).

Then, he can safely perform the upgrades, knowing he has something he
can refer to if things don't go smoothly post-upgrade.  If some service
doesn't function quite the same as it did before, he can unpack his
previous /etc into a different directory structure and use his previous
config file as a point of reference.

Hope this helps,
Jas