[jhb] Re: Tiger Moth G-ANOD

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:00:07 -0000

I suspect some data may be getting garbled.

G-ANOD was c/n 84588 which makes it one of the many Morris Motors, Cowley
plant aircraft. It was originally T6121 and came onto the UK civil register
later than many in 1954. It was sold to Peter Vanneck in March 1954 and he
sold it in Nov 1955. It was during his ownership that it was raced.

The first recorded race appears to have been the Norton Griffiths Challenge
Trophy and in the first round held on 30th April 1955 at Fairwood Common
G-ANOD came last out of the five Tiger Moth entrants. In the second round on
30th May at Yeadon G-ANOD came in fourth out of the five entrants. On 11th
June he won the third round held at Whitchurch (Bristol). He didn't enter
the fourth round on 20th August at Baginton because it clashed with the
King's Cup. I presume as he already had the points to qualify for the King's
Cup from flying the earlier rounds of the Norton Griffiths he saw no reason
to fly the fourth round.

G-ANOD flew in the King's Cup Air Race held on 20th August and Peter came
second in this race with an average speed of 106mph. Picture at:

http://www.601squadron.com/images/postwar_35.jpg

Southport Aero Club operated the aircraft from Nov 1955 to about mid 1960
when it was reported in storage at Oxford. It was sold in Feb 1961 but a gap
in the records misses the owner. It moved to John Lewery in Mar 1963 and
then to David Wood in Jan 1974. It was permanently withdrawn from use in
1991 but this didn't stop it being registered to a final owner for another
11 years.

From the photo above and your own photo at
http://www.g-gyav.org.uk/images/SAC%20Pix/1_SAC%20Tiger%20G-ANOD%20at%20Honi
ley.jpg (which is reversed) it would suggest that the aircraft was mostly
black with a red cheat line and registration - not dissimilar to my G-ANKK
repaint but without the zigzag. However the rudder seems to be red with a
black 22 painted on it. The marking on the fin is the crest of 601 Squadron
that Peter served in - see http://www.601squadron.com/images/logo2.jpg

If the aircraft competed in 1958 whilst with the Southport Aero Club then it
has gone unrecorded. Without any qualifying points it would not have flown
in the King's Cup but it could have entered the National Air Races Class 3
races for the Goodyear Air Challenge Trophy (Tiger Moths only). Of the 14
entrants only the three winners are mentioned in my books (and their
aircraft registrations). The remaining 11 contestants are mentioned by name
in the archives but not the aircraft they flew - see
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958-1-%20-%200075.html