[jhb] Getting Too Real

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB Restricted <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:34:07 +0100

Flying VFR, I don't use FSC and my panel doesn't have Garmin either. Both would have been useful in this morning's flight from Deenthorpe (ICAO doesn't know it) to Crowfield. Approaching Newmarket the visibility started to deteriorate. Even at 1000' I failed to spot Crowfield and its grass runways. Good job Clacton was in range and I managed to arrive there, via the Clacton VFR. Even that is some way from the field but I managed to spot it and get in OK.

RW would definitely have been more stressful but I still broke out in a sweat! The yellow streak, most likely.

BTW, when leveling out at cruise alt, which should be adjusted first, prop or MP?