[jhb] Fixed IP Addresses

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:25:45 EDT

Message for Paul, who was helping me a few weeks ago on this topic -

I have now upgraded from my SpeedTouch 545 router to a Netgear DG834N. I
have had a conversation with their Tech Support, and now successfully got fixed

IP addresses to work on my network with both Vista and XP Home machines.

The solution appeared to be to get the local PC's IP address using  IPCONFIG,
and then setting that number as the PC's fixed IP. I think that's what  you
were trying to talk me through, but it didn't seem to work on the  SpeedTouch.
Its ok with the Netgear router though.

Note I had to do this to use their port forwarding software, which demand's
a local PC's IP address to enable, rather than allowing you to enable the port
 on all PCs on the network.

Frank T.