[jhb] Farmstrip Campaign; Next Assignments

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:31:54 +0100

NEXT ASSIGNMENT
===============
We'll continue with the idea of flying the strips in the order they are set out here, since there have been no screams of protest about having adopted the
approach last week.

HALLWELL    X1HA   N50 21.91  W3 42.44
-------------
7 miles WSW of Torquay and 4 miles S of Totnes.
The field is located on top of a hill, with two small hangars in to the right of Rwy 07. Shown on CAA charts

It is run by the South Hams Flying Club and landing fee is £2, which I'll overlook.

RUNWAY E to W (460 x 110m)

CIRCUITS: 500', to the N. Tight circuits to avoid local villages, particularly one to the West.

WINDSOCK: In the centre of the field, to the right of Rwy 07

FARWAY COMMON    X2SI  N50 44.21  W3 11.16
------------------------
Located 4 miles NE of Sidmouth and 4 miles S of Honiton. Shown on CAA charts.
The wood in the centre of the field is a good landmark.

Nearest Alternate: Dunkeswell.

RUNWAYS: 04/22 (500 x 15 m), 01/19 (530 x 13 m), 10/28 (580 x 15 m), 18/36 (550 x 15 m).
Some undulations and slope.

WINDSOCK: To the left of 04 threshold and 04 runs parallel to the Southern end of the woods.

CIRCUITS: Avoid SW corner, due to horses and cottages.

BINSTEAD   X2BS  Isle of Wight   N50 43.39  W1 12.27

Located 2 miles W of Ryde and 1/2 mile E of Wooton. VERY HARD TO SPOT!
It is 1/2 mile South of the large brick Abbey on North coast.

Nearest Alternates Bembridge and Sandown.

RUNWAY:  18/36 (400 x 16 m). Level and a gap in the cables, at South.

CIRCUITS & NOISE: No circuits. Landings must be arranged so that no buildings are overflown. ON NO ACCOUNT OVERFLY THE ABBEY AND HOUSES TO THE NORTH! Also avoid village 1/2 miles to the South

WINDSOCK: None. Strip lies between Hangar (in trees) and farm buildings to the West.

Easy to land....if you can spot the runway. You need a few higher altitude passes but avoiding the Abbey. May see you at Bembridge!

PS UK2000 Bembridge is awful! Don't be tempted to locate to Sandown, via the Menu. It's on the end of the pier! I've got a passable Sandown showing, I knew not from where. A bit of detective work has shown it to be part of the Isle of Wight Demo scenery.