[jhb] AI in FSX

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:05:00 +0100

Most of the AI that I used in FS9 I'd put together myself. I also edited out many of the UK airfields, from the Default Traffic file, to avoid being confronted by those ghastly Default aircraft that it uses. I also had some UT traffic, carried forward from FS2002.

In FSX I use the same traffic files but have experienced a couple of problems. First is the relative emptiness of the skies, outside the UK. The other is that FSC has stopped displaying my AI traffic, and that was one of the things I'd appreciated about FSC.

When first I raised the problem of missing FSC AI, either Paul or Phil pointed me in the direction of some info that said that FS9 AI and FSX weren't compatible. It turns out to be the other way around; FS9 AI will show up in FSX but FSX AI won't appear in FS9. Additionally there are refferences that suggest that the two might not work together, in FSX.

What I've now done is to make a backup copy of the Default FSX Traffic.bgl, then decompile and recompile the original, using Lee Swordy's TT Tools. That means that all the AI Traffic files in my FSX are now in FS9 format. There are reported problems with FS9 in FSX, because the latter uses different date and time formats. That doesn't bother me because I'm happy if the correct aircraft appear on the tarmac and not too bothered whether they strictly follow the schedule.

With the all FS9 format, my FSC now displays loads of traffric and the Default versions appear at fields where I haven't substituted my own versions. So it does look as though having the two formats co-existing in FSX upsets the applecart.

For those of you of a less Luddite persuasion than I, it probably makes more sense to go the other way and convert any FS9 traffic that you use to FSX format. This can't be done with TT Tools but I'm told it can be done using AIFPC.