Re: will ther be ever support for 64 bit os from fFS with JAWS

  • From: "Ward & Kathy Dudley" <whdudley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:57:49 -0400

From sources within the two main screen readers it is because few companies are writing drivers for the 64 bit operating systems yet.

Ward
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Toews" <Bruce@xxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: will ther be ever support for 64 bit os from fFS with JAWS

For whatever reason, and screen reader manufacturers just aren't telling
us what that reason is, screen reader manufacturers just either aren't
interested in or able to come out with a 64-bit version. My completely
un-backuppable theory is that it has to do with finding a software
synthesizer for 64-bit operating systems. All indicators are that there
will be no more development on Eloquence, and I believe DecTalk has been
dead for some time, so what's left? Those are really the only two
responsive software synthesizers I know of, so if there will be no
further development of them, we need a new quick-and-responsive synth to
come on the market, and I'm not seeing one. It is on this conjecture
alone that I am basing my theory about why there are no 64-bit screen
readers, I may be totally and completely incorrect. I remember when
Vista first came out and the question of 64-bit Windows was raised on
Main Menu, someone from GW Micro said it would really be very easy to
write a 64-bit screen reader, but for something so easy, no visible
progress has been made on any front by any of the big three or the
smaller several.

Bruce

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 07:18:39 -0400, "dave-d0619"
<dave-d0619@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Hello:

If companies like FS want to stay in business, like every other business,
they will have to move with the times, it is called progress.

Don't forget, when Microsoft moved from 16 bit operating systems to 32
bit
operating systems, FS was right there, which is why we are able to use
Windows and many programs that use the Windows operating system today!

So, I have no doubt, they will be there for 64 bit operating systems.

It would not be in their interest as a business not to do so.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber