RE: stuck in XP

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:17:46 -0400

Go ahead and put the jaws cd in the drive and have it install; it won't
hurt anything by having it installed, and you may not need to change any
settings at all (we'll have to see).

No, It's not possible for a blind person to get to narrator through the
start menu; a sighted person can do it, if they work their way down
through the menus enough to find it.  The lack of a windows key is my
only complaint with the thinkpads.

I did search the web and found a registry change that allowed me to use
one of the extra keys (non-standard ones ibm throws on the keyboard) as
the windows key, but I think the registry change I found is probably
model specific (I have an A31).

Once you get jaws running, IBM does provide you with a keyboard
remapping utility (which you can find under the programs menu); but from
what I remember, it makes you sacrifice one of your control or alt keys
to be a windows key.  The key hack I was given let me sacrifice the
special key used only to stop the loading of a web page, so it was no
loss to me.

If you don't have any luck, my work phone is in my signature, and my
home phone is:

(850) 668-6665

That's eastern time until 9 pm, so if you need some help, and email
isn't working, feel free to call.  My home email is:

acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx

And my work email is in my signature.

Hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator
Florida Public Service Commission

Chip.Orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(850) 413-6314

 (any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
=20