Re: = signs in some messages=

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:46:42 -0500

This used to be more common years ago when there were more UNIX machines =
producing e-mail. I was under the impression it had something to do with =
one of the UNIX e-mail clients or servers. In addition to the =3D sign =
you will often se the number 20 the HEX value for the ASCII SPACE =
character. It was once explained to me that it had something to do with =
padding line lengths, UNIX uses only the ASCII RETURN character to =
terminate lines, Windows and DOS use both the RETURN and LINEFEED =
characters to terminate lines and these days lines aren't really =
terminated at all except deliberately to create a new paragraph. Clients =
which use a fixed text terminal though do insert end of line markers =
which is one reason why we will see e-mail with every second line =
shortened when the reply is included.

Anyway, the exact details now escape me as it was several years ago that =
it was explained to me in detail but essentially it had to do with two =
characters being inserted in the place of the single line terminator and =
the way this is managed by MIME or one of those protocols. It happens =
within the network and therefore outside of the client's control

 This list though is the only one of a few that I belong to which seems =
to have this problem which makes me wonder if it has something to do =
with the settings. I used to see it a lot on the old NETTAMER list and I =
do se it occasionally still when messages are coppied to other lists.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
DLeavens@xxxxxxx
Come and meet Aurora, Nakita and Nanook at our polar bear habitat.=20

----- Original Message -----=20