Re: shortcut for a folder?

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:57:55 -0500

Good morning Andrew.

There are at least two methods for creating either desktop or keystroke
shortcuts to files, folders or even entire drives. Assuming, for the moment,
that it is the folder, Notes, that you are interested in, do one of the
following:

1. Open the drive with my computer or windows explorer and move your cursor
with your arrow keys to the file or folder you for wish you want a shortcut.

2. I route my jaws to the PC cursor, return to the PC cursor although there
are numerous other ways of getting the context menu, then do a right mouse
click to bring up that context menu.

3. Now, depending upon the willingness of your operating system to place
shortcuts on the desktop as you request them, arrow up to the send to option
and hit enter. Then, arrow up to place shortcut on desktop and, again, hit
enter. This may or may not succeed, depending upon how cooperative your
system is. Assuming it works:

4. Return to the desktop and hit the home key to bring you to the first of
your icons, normally, my documents. Now, his the s key to bring you to the
words short cut key for ... At this time, assuming your file or folder name
is present, again, go to the context menu, shift f10, then arrorow up to
rename and press enter. Backspace once or twice to erase the shortcut
expression and write the word, notes, followed by the enter key.

5. If you want a hot key for this desktop shortcut, highlight the folder,
file or application name, then hit left shift + f10 to bring up the context
menu, it should say, open. Arrow up one to properties and hit enter. Now,
arrow right to where you hear, shortcut key. Be careful now for any
keystroke you enter will be retained as your shortcut key. You might want a
shortcut keystroke like control + alt + n, assuming you have not already
used this combination. Avoid two-stroke sequences since they are likely to
be used elsewhere in applications. Assuming you have the sequence you wish,
continue tabbing to ok and press enter. That should do it.

Although you don't strictly need to place these shortcuts on your desktop, I
do so as a convenient reminder of the shortcut sequences I have used. Once
you delete a file, folder or application with a shortcut sequence, not
having previously deleted the shortcut first, you are likely to be unable to
retrieve that sequence again, a shortcoming of Microsoft operating systems.

Sometimes, the operating system will simply ignore your attempts to place
shortcuts on the desktop in the above and easy manner. Should this occur,
one has to accomplish this in a little more brutal manner.

6. As above, move to the file, folder or application in a list for which you
want a shortcut. Hit left shift + f10, holding down the shift key while you
hit f10, to bring up the context menu. Now, arrow up to make shortcut. Press
enter. You will notice that you now have a second listing for your file or
folder, normally with the number 2 following it. This is merely a shortcut
to the file, not the file itself. Highlight this second file name with the
number 2 with Jaws highlight keys, hit control x to delete and save it, then
return to your desktop. Now, hit control v to drop it onto the desktop.

7. Following the above steps for locating the words, shortcut to ...,
highlighting that shortcut by simply pointing to it, go to the context menu,
then to properties and supply your shortcut sequence. Don't forget to rename
the shortcut to sequence to something more manageable.

Good luck.

Jerry