RE: looking for a CD copying speech friendly program

  • From: Delaunay Christophe <christophe.delaunay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:57:37 +0200

Hi Rik,

Sure, if someone says Nero 9 or 10 will do the job, I definitely believe in
them.

However, I personnally prefer lighter solutions since I don’t need one of these
whole software suites.

Here is what I have here:

(1)    MagicIso: www.magiciso.com<http://www.magiciso.com> and UltraIsoPremium:
www.ultraiso.com<http://www.ultraiso.com>

These two pieces of software have the same user interface, which indeed, is
really a charm to use with a screen reader. Problem: these pieces of software
are not free. I bought one, (MagicIso indeed) because I sometimes need to
customize .iso files before burning them. I only played a little with UltraIso
Premium so I can’t say much more about it. For MagicIso, it seems to have a
good support for audio CDs and multi-session discs.

(2)    CDBurnerXP: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/?lang=en

Contrarily to what its name lets suppose, this piece of software can burn not
only CDs of any kinds, but also DVD, HD DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs. It runs on
windows XP and later. For XP, 32-bits versions are preferred but for Vista and
7, you will find installers for 32- and 64-bits platforms.

The only accessibility problem I noticed with this software is while running
the installer. The regular installer is packaged with an adware named
“OpenCandy”. During installation, you are free to install the adware or not but
the problem is that jaws does not *know* how to focus in the OpenCandy window.
As a result, the installer runs ok until a point at which you need the help of
a sighted person to finish installation.

Alternately, on the web site, you can find a setup version which does not embed
the OpenCandy software, or even a portable version of CDBurnerXP.

As soon as it is installed, CDBurnerXP is really nice to use even though you
may need to use the jaws cursor for advanced features like sorting files by
size, creation or modification dates, … in the explorer pane.

(3)    BurnAware: http://www.burnaware.com/ .

I only tried this piece of software later. The only thing I noticed is that its
interface semems accessible but I don’t know whether it is reliable or not.
It’s worth trying it however since it has a free version and some more advanced
non-free versions.

(4)    InfraRecorder.

It is an opensource burning software for windows. I used it awhile ago but
stopped doing so soon after having a bad experience with it and two different
low-cost double-layer DVD burners.

HTH. Have a nice day. ChD