  • From: Jean Menzies <jemenzies@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Jfw List <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:05:51 -0600

Someone mentioned a problem with Jaws 5.1 not loading the correct script
files.  Whoever noticed that, could you please give me details on this
problem and if it's a major thing that FS is aware of?

Here's why I ask.  I'm still experimenting with why I and some others
are having trouble with disappearing text as far as Jaws is concerned.
Realizing that it could be almost anything, that it's like looking for a
needle in a haystack, I've just been experimenting with things to see if
anything makes the problem worse or better.

When I load Word, Jaws tells me the version is Microsoft Word 11.0.6359.
We bought it as Word 2003 as part of the Office Small Business package.

When I check the loaded Jaws scripts with insert-Q, Jaws says Word for
Windows scripts are loaded and that the configuration name is Microsoft
Word.  That's all fine.  But the application is Winword.exe.  Now, when
I look in the Jaws Settings Enu folder, I see the Microsoft Word files,
plus I see actual WinWord scripts.

As an experiment, I renamed both config files to something different to
see what Jaws would do, and when I reloaded the application, it still
told me the Microsoft Word scripts were loaded.  But I had temporarily
made that file unavailable.  I wanted to load the WinWord scripts to see
how those worked, but again, after renaming to match the application
executable, it appeared that nothing different got loaded.

So, can someone explain this behaviour?  For now everything is back as
it should be.

Jean