RE: laptops with jaws for work

  • From: Chip Orange <COrange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:48:28 -0500

I have a ThinkPad A series (larger 7 pound laptop) with a full-sized
keyboard and a "pop out" numeric pad which pops out of a bay on the
right-hand side just under the keyboard.  It's very nice in that I don't
have to learn the laptop layout, and don't have any trouble in switching
between my desktop keyboard and my laptop.

I'm also very impressed with the ThinkPad X series (the 2 pound laptop)
because they managed to get a full-sized keyboard on it as well!!!  (no pop
out numeric keypad though).

Neither has a Windows key, but there's a registry hack and/or a utility that
lets you remap one of your other keyboard keys to serve that purpose.

The X series doesn't normally come with a CD/DVD (without some optional
accessories) in order to achieve that 2.7 pound weight, and it's screen is a
little over 12 inches, so if you have to show someone else your screen it
may be difficult for them to see.  It does however have very superior
battery life (4-8 hours I think).

IBM has a 30 day full money back policy, so if there's anything you don't
like you're not out anything but the shipping back (they often have special
offers of free shipping).

The X40 in a recent review was judge more rugged than a Toughbook because
they've added a new technology; it's an accelerometer that senses when it's
being dropped, and parks the disk heads before impact, thus preventing data
loss from a head crash.  The reviewer said it was very impressive.

These are pretty much the 2 extremes of thinkpads; the A series is large and
capable, with many removable device bays and card slots, and the X series
has none and is much smaller.  There's a compromise ThinkPad series called
the T series that weighs in at around 5 pounds, has one slot and one device
bay, and a medium-sized screen of around 14 inches (the A series has one of
17 inches btw).

I bought mine as a desktop replacement, so I'm happy with the A series;
however, if I were having to travel a lot and carry it a lot, and I didn't
need others to be able to see the screen, I'd go for the X40.

If I had to travel some, and sometimes had to have others see the screen,
I'd go for the T41.

All of these come with WIFI, sound cards integrated on the mother board (all
multi-channel), and a utility pre-installed that backs-up your system at
various points so if you do something that really corrupts it, you can
recover from a hidden partition and get going again.

If this is your personal money, I'd also advise you to get laptop insurance
(I got mine from my state farm agent for around $50 a year for a $2500
policy); it protects against anything, even you just dropping it.

HTH,

Chip

http://www.nhbradio.com

"To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am."--Dream Theater, As I am

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers turn to look at the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars
Turn around and walk the razor's edge."--Neil Peart of Rush, The Pass