RE: jaws not remembering my punctuation settings

  • From: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:17:42 -0500

Michael,

I didn't respond earlier because I am still using JAWS 11, but see if this
information is still valid in JAWS 12.

First, permanent punctuation settings are not made in the configuration
manager. Instead, you find them in JAWS options (insert-j), then by arrowing
down to and clicking on the voices submenu. From there you press enter on
voice adjustment and tab to punctuation.

The default setting is for global voices. However, you appear to want
different levels of punctuation for different applications. In JAWS 11, this
requires creating a voice profile.

Below, I'll copy the example Bill white posted to this list to suggest how
this can be done. Let me say that this process is ridiculously complicated
for a setting that many JAWS users would want to change from time to time.
Other listers will write in if the process has been changed, and hopefully
simplified, in JAWS 12. Here goes:

I have an example of a profile that goes with Outlook Express. I called the
profile oe, as in o e, and the thing I wanted to change was the punctuation.
In the configuration manager, it is impossible to have punctuation set to
none, unless you customize every single punctuation entry. But in the
Profile, there is a selection, Punctuation none.

So I set the punctuation to none, and also slowed down the voice so that it
would be slower than my default voice.

In this way, I customized outlook express, so it would not read all the
punctuation, and would have a slower reading rate.

After saving the profile, I started outlook express. Then I Pressed Insert+J
to bring up the Jaws context menu. From there I went back to options,
voices, select profile, and selected OE. Then I checked the box that said:
For Outlook Express.

It was done, and whenever Outlook Express starts, it comes up with the
parameters I set in the JAWS profile.

----