RE: jaws and pcs

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:52:09 -0700

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the list.

As for buying a PC, you may need to consider:

.         Is desktop or laptop right for my level of experience and comfort?

.         How much RAM I need?

.         How fast a CPU should be in order for you to use JAWS efficiently?

And so forth.

Here's my own recommendations based on my own buying experiences and review
from others:

.         CPU: I personally recommend a cheap, dual core CPu's such as Intel
Core 2 Duo/Pentium Dual Core or AMD Athlon.

.         RAM: I recommend at least 1 GB of RAM (if you are into heavy
multitasking, especially when using JAWS with Realspeak synthesizers (found
at Freedom scientific website) or using OpenBook to scan documents).

.         Hard disk: I recommend any size of it, but I think at least 80 GB
would be enough (my own personal range is between 80 to 400 GB).

.         Operating system: if you are into multimedia or need fast
searching while sacrificing some disk space, then Vista would be an option;
if you are considering more disk space for your files and faster
performance, then XP would be the way to go. By the way, I highly recommend
either: buying a "Pro" version of Windows (that is, Windows XP Pro or Vista
Business or Ultimate), or buy a "Home" version (that is, XP Home or Vista
Home Basic/Premium) on a new computer with an option of upgrading it to
higher version. An attractive option would be Vista Home Premium, then
upgrading it to Business edition or Ultimate.

.         Desktop or laptop: In my case, being a student, coupled with
mobility and instant access to my files and my rigor for experiments helped
me to choose a laptop computer. As for choosing your computer type, it
depends on number of factors. If you are going to use your computer strictly
at home, then I recommend a desktop. If you are into moving around a lot,
then a laptop would be an affordable option. Be careful that laptops cost
more than desktops and may run slower than desktop computers in certain
areas.

My own PC recommendation: if I was to buy a new computer, I would buy:

.         Type: Laptop.

.         Operating System: At least XP Pro (Vista Business/Ultimate).

.         CPu: Intel Core 2 Duo T6000 or P8000 series (more towards P8000
series).

.         RAM: 2 GB.

.         Hard disk size: about 250 GB.

If you are buying a computer, I recommend going through "custom build"
option - so that you can choose CPU, RAM amount, OS (operating system), hard
disk size and on by yourself (with recommendations from other folks).

Hope you find a computer that suits you. Feel free to ask anything about
JAWS.

Cheers,

Joseph P.S. For your record, could you mind give us your computer
specifications, such as CPU, RAM, operating system and so forth?