Re: jaws and macafee software

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 10:36:19 -0700

Yes and I don't get much further then you do.  Here's a few things I discovered.
Updates and anti virus work fine.  Jaws will not read the dialog box after an
update is either ready or does not need to be performed.  Use Insert+b to read
the dialog.  Check use msaa for listviews.
Internet security
alt-tabbing to and away from the window will help bring jaws into focus.  The
initial screen is like a webpage.  Things that are clickable and a few links.
Privacy service.
This thing is one of the most pain in the butt things I encountered.  If a
webpage doesn't load as fast as usual, switch to your jaws cursor and read the
screen.  Don't route it.  If you hear nothing, toggle the restriction to no
restriction.  Privacy service is mostly prompting you for a cookie  Use the jaws
command for clicking on the left mouse button and choose either accept or block.
If you know of a few websites which you like to access, you can go into the
privacy service and click on cookies, and type in those websites you want to
allow.  If you also use winamp and use winamp's library, Privacy service causes
winamp 5.08 to crash on most stremes.  No windows showing it blocking is bisable
but it causes the streme to stop playing after a few minutes.
I'm assuming the personal firewall operates much like the privacy service.  If
you go into its main screen, you can setup applications to block or allow.  You
have to use the jaws cursor in this window.You may see a dialog from the
personal firewall with two buttons when your computer initially starts.  If you
can figure out what that dialog is, you're a better person then I.  One more
note about privacy service, don't try to view the event log, the application
crashes.