RE: jaws and editting audio files to make ring tones

  • From: "Brian Giles" <briangiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:53:15 -0700

Hi,

I use audacity to make ring tones for my phone. I googled and found a good
guide on how to do this, but it is written for general use and isn't
accessibility specific. However, more googling turned up a guide on using
audacity with JAWS.

You can import the file you want to use as your ring tone into audacity by
using the standard file open dialog box. I always copy the file somewhere
else before editing it, so iTunes doesn't get mad. Once you have your file
open, you can hit space to start playing it. When you get to the beginning
of where you want your ring tone to start, you can press the left bracket
key to mark it. You do the same thing once you get to the end of what you
want to use with the right bracket key. You can also skip backward and
forward through the file with the arrow keys. Once you have your ring tone
how you like it, save it and export it as an mp3, and it'll be ready to put
on your phone.

My phone doesn't play mp3 files so I just put them on as .wav's. When everI
want a new ring tone, I just  put it on my phones memory card. You can come
up with some creative ring tones by doing this. LOL

HTH,

Brian