RE: jaws 8 and AVG paid version

  • From: "Bill Spiry" <aspiry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:01:50 -0800

The paid AVG internet security suite works very well with JAWS. I've got
their latest version 9, also have been using since about version 6, worked
well with jaws 10 and now well with jaws 11.
Actually I do recommend getting the paid version, AVG has very competitive
prices, I think you get two years for what you typically pay for one, they
also have good multi computer license plans if you have more than one
machine. The user interface is jaws friendly, the only gripe I have is that
the help manual isn't accessible, you can navigate the contents list fine
but F6 to the reading window is a JAWS vacuum. I had AVG send me the manual
in PDF.
The major plus of AVG pro is that it does a great job of updating itself and
its easy to set up the update and scan schedules. Also in comparison to
McAffie or Norton (both of which I loath based on experience with them), AVG
is a light load for your PC resources. The pro paid version is not just for
companys etc, the individual user license is very useful, I just don't have
to worry about it as it updates and scans and gets it done. Very good
scanning results too, I don't feel a need to double layer with other
security applications as it does a great job.
My 25 cents worth...