Re: focus 40 blue and blue tooth

  • From: "Roy Nickelson" <roylee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:20:55 -0500

ok well then you won't need to install any drivers or anything.  according to
the documentation that I will paist below it appears that after the connection
is astablished then JAWS will be able to communicate over a com port if this
doesn't work as described you will probably need to call tech support.
To set up a Bluetooth connection between the Focus display and JAWS, do the
following:

  1.. Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on the computer running JAWS. If you
are using an external USB Bluetooth adapter, insert it and ensure it is
detected properly.
  2.. Power on the Focus. The firmware version and battery status information
is displayed.
  3.. On the computer, go to the Control Panel and select Bluetooth Devices.
  4.. When the Bluetooth Devices dialog box opens, press TAB to move to the Add
button and press ENTER.
  5.. Use the SPACEBAR to check the My device is set up and ready to be found
check box, and then choose Next to begin searching for Bluetooth devices. This
may take several seconds. You are placed in the list of devices when the search
is complete.
  6.. Use the ARROW keys to select Focus 40 BT from the list then choose Next.
If the Focus display was not found, make sure it is turned on, and then select
the Search Again button.
  7.. Select the Use the passkey found in the documentation radio button, press
TAB to Move to the Passkey edit field, type 0000, and choose Next.
  8.. After a few seconds, you will receive a message informing you that the
Bluetooth device was successfully connected and the outgoing and incoming COM
port assignments are displayed. Make a note of the outgoing port number as this
is the port JAWS will use to communicate with the Focus.
  9.. Choose Finish to close the wizard, and then OK to close the Bluetooth
Devices dialog box and save your settings.
Note: Your settings will not be saved if you do not exit both the wizard and
Bluetooth Devices dialog box as described in step 9.

You must now configure JAWS to use the COM port that was added when you paired
the Focus. To configure JAWS, do the following:

  1.. Press INSERT+J to open the JAWS window.
  2.. Press ALT+O to open the Options menu and select Braille to open the
Braille Basic Settings dialog box.
  3.. In the Default Braille Display combo box, make sure Focus is selected
then choose Modify Settings.
  4.. In the list of COM ports, select the port that corresponds to the
outgoing COM port number that was displayed after you finished pairing the
Focus
  5.. Select OK. You are then instructed to restart JAWS in order for these
changes to take effect. Select OK to close this message and once more to close
the Braille Basic Settings dialog box.
  6.. Quit and restart JAWS and your Focus 40 Blue is now communicating with
JAWS over Bluetooth.