Re: accessible live journal clients

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:32:50 -0500

Hi Dan
Let me answer all your questions after you ask them for clarity.

Where can I look to find basic explanations about how a person sets up a
live journal, and whether or not they must, or should get extra software for
managing it
http://www.livejournal.com/support/faq.bml
That's gonna answer all your questions all in one place. it's *extremely* comprehensive.

 (is this software put out *by* Live Journal, or is it third
party stuff?)

There is a bit of development of Livejournal, Henceforth we'll call it LJ because everyone on live journal calls it that, but some of the lj developers have created clients. and there has also been developments of clients from LJ users who really like the site and want to make it easier to access.
So the short answer is, a bit of both.

And will someone please explain whether Live
Journal is basically screen reader friendly as is, in its basic form?
Yes it is. All it is is a website where you write up your feelings about your every day life, your opinions on situations and things going on in the news, or anything you could possibly imagine. and yes some stuff you probably can't. It is very free, and open. no censorship!
The clients we're talking about here are just there to let you write an entry and post it to your journal *without* having to actually visit the lj website, going to the update journal link and writing in it that way. It has different account types. A free account which you start with will let you write via a lj client or the website. A paid account which has different costs for different amounts of time, will give you the ability to post to your journal via e-mail, or the phone. The FAQ explains all this is great detail as I said. so just read all the pages. You aren't going to understand all of it for sure because there *are* some visual aspects like custom mood themes and styles. they just control the look and style of your journal, but none of the ones i've seen have ever caused a single problem with JAWS or any other screenreader I've used. This is probably the most accessible blogging site on the net.

it has over 7 million subscribers to date and more are joining every day.