a frustrating video problem

  • From: "Missy Hoppe" <melissah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-users-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jfw" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:25:36 -0400

Hello, all. I just recently purchased a VGA KFA 286GFE8HDFEXX 8600GT RT
video
card to replace an aling MSN 8500 GT video card in my computer system. For
the most part, everything seems to be working reasonably well, but I am
experiencing a couple of hopefully minor issues that I am really hoping
that someone on this list might be able to assist me in resolving.
First of all, the essencials regarding my system:
Abit Quad GT motherboard
Intel qx6700 processer running at 3.50 ghz
4 GB of Kingston 8500 memory
Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service pack 3.
Jaws For Windows 9.0 Professional
Internet Explorer 7.0
AVG Free Edition Version 8.0
Windows Defender
Nvidia drivers which came out in july of 2008
This problem was drawn to my attention a couple of days ago when I went to
the NLS talking books site to pick out some new books. Instead of
downloading like normal, I was presented with the information bar and had
navigate to that and tell it that it's OK to download the file; I've never
had to do that with the nls site until now. I went to check if some
advanced options in IE may have been changed somehow, only to discover that
JFW no longer reads weather options are on or off; just the option itself.
For example: disable script debugging; it says that, but not weather it's
on or off.
I was hoping that perhaps someone on this list may have some ideas with
regards to what
could be causing this problem, and how I might go about fixing it. I don't
know for sure how many other programs are effected by this, but if I try to
access help for either Internet Explorer or JFW, that doesn't seem to read
as easily as it should.
I have double and tripple checked to insure that I am using all recommended
display settings for JFW, and so far as I can tell, Everything is as it
should be in that respect. In fact, absolutely nothing changed after the
video card was changed; apart from downloading the absolute newest nvidia
drivers I could find, everything should be exactly as it was prior to the
card change. I thought the problem was resolved after updating the nvidia
drivers, but this morning when I turned on my system, I was once again
unable to discern changes in on or off status for advanced options in
internet explorer. Not even using the jaws cursor or insert uparrow reads
the on or off status; it's as if it isn't even on the screen.
Apart from help and internet explorer, all other software I've had occasion
to use since the change in video card seems to be reading as expected, but
I'd really like to resolve this problem so that I can determine what change
may have been made that is  making me have to click the information bar any
time I wish to download a file.
Thank you very much for your time, and I hope that everyone is having a
really great day.
Missy
PM