RE: Windows XP, Jaws 8.0 and the mouse!

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:53:42 +0100

Marc,

I think there are a couple of things here which need separating out.

First, I don't think using the JAWS cursor in the way you are trying to,
to move it over a system tray icon and click it, is supported by JAWS
because few JAWS users would find this an efficient way of working. The
system tray icons are graphics and most of these are not given text
labels that JAWS can read, so it just ignores them which is why you
can't get the JAWS cursor onto them.

Second, when you use the PC cursor to get focus to a system tray and
then "use the numpad to click on the icon", if you are referring to
using NumPad slash, this is actually the same as clicking the left mouse
button. In other words, it doesn't act on the PC cursor focus, but the
mouse pointer. What you would need to do is press either Enter or the
applications key, depending on whether the icon requires a left or right
mouse click to activate it.

Because using the PC cursor to get to a system tray icon is long-winded,
JAWS has - as others have mentioned - an alternative method of pressing
Insert + F11 to get a list of the system tray icons. This bypasses the
need for moving the focus to the actual system tray. When you have
selected the icon you want to work with, you can tab around some options
about what to do with it; as well as a left and right mouse click, it
offers a double left click.

Steve