Re: Wiki Accessibility

  • From: Brandon B <serrebi101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:58:23 -0800

The only wiki I've ever edited was wikipedia which I think uses media wiki
http://www.mediawiki.org/
and it works fine. It looks as if this is open source and released for free, so go get it or look for hosting platforms using that.

Jana Schroeder wrote:

Hello,

I am new to this list but have been using JFW for years.

Myworkplace is asking us to help edit a wiki hosted by BWIKI.com. I discovered that the editing tools are not accessible. I contacted tech support for PBWIKI.com who at first thought I was just asking about screen reader ability to read pages on their wikis created by others (which works fine). Once was able to get them to understand that I actually wanted to participate in creating and editing wikis hosted by their site, they responded that this is not accessible and there are no plans to make it accessible.

I am wondering if anyone else on this list has experience creating and/or editing wikis using an accessible hosting site and could make a recommendation (or, alternatively, if anyone is aware of the inaccessibility of all wiki editing tools at this point).

Finally, are there other good lists on blindness and technology where blind users with experience using other Web 2.0 tools such as Google Docs, Facebook, Twitter, etc. might hang out?
Thanks,

Jana Schroeder